Self Care should include the routines, activities and items that are a part of your everyday life.Last week, I encouraged you to think about your own space. Today, I want to ask you to take a few minutes and think about your daily life and routine. When we discuss self care, it is often about the things we can do when daily life becomes hectic and overwhelming. However, good self care begins on a daily basis with small actions that become routine. Does your daily routine include:
- Stretching before you even get out of bed (the first thing any animal does before getting up from a nap is to stretch – you should too)
- Waking up a few minutes before the rest of your family – use this time to mediate or journal
- Check your breathing – when we are stressed/anxious we often hold our breath. If you catch yourself sighing, slow down and practice deep breathing.
- Using a shower gel and lotion that you enjoy (think about the aromas that make you happy)
- Drinking plenty of water
- Make sure you have clothes/jewelry that make you feel good (they do not have to be expensive)
- Listen to music that you enjoy on your commute to work
- Eat food that nourishes your body and doesn’t drag you down
- Exercise and move your body (our body keeps in stress and needs to be released)
- Make time for sleep (our body needs time to heal from the day and most of us do not receive enough sleep)
Specifically, make sure that each day you are surrounded by something that makes you stop and smile.The items don’t have to be of monetary value, although it is ok if they are. It could be a note or card from a friend or a loved one that you have on a bulletin board. It can be the use of a mixing bowl that belonged to your grandmother or it can be the use of your favorite perfume. Here are a few of self care items that I utilize almost everyday. Daily I drink from what has become my favorite mug. (The grey is no longer available but I do love the brown) Additionally, I have beautiful royal blue plates that make me smile each time I use them. (I actually had a photo of my favorite plate and mug). I purchased the plates at Target last summer. Sadly, they are no longer available.) sweater that I bought it in three colors. I have to remind myself I don’t need to wear it everyday. (It’s really hard because it’s so comfortable.)
What does your everyday self care routine look like? Remember, you can begin a new routine today!!