It is the wonderful time of the year when it can often feel as every moment is filled with parties and celebrations. The holidays can be stressful and this is even more reason why it is important to take some time to be mindful about the season. As I am slowly returning to writing on a regular basis, I felt joining in on The Blended Blog’s holiday themed Q and A would be a great place to start. I should note that I am addicted to Christmas decorations and over the years have had more than the three full trees I have in my house. However, I have learned that the amount of decorations does not enhance or make a better holiday season. In fact, one of my most favorite holidays was the year before we moved into our current home. We chose not to decorate (as we were moving the first of the year) inside other than table decorations and decorated our outdoor windows with wreaths and lights. There was less stress in a time of our lives that was hectic. Regardless of what you feel is important to celebrate the holidays, I hope the upcoming weeks of Advent bring you the peace and love of the season. Now join me for the current questions:
- Real or Fake Tree: We have artificial trees. James is highly allergic and we also have a cat that I am certain would take advantage of having a real tree in the family room.
- Favorite Christmas Cookie: It would have to be my Nanny’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. We would make them together when I was little (and beyond). Before she died, she always made a tin of cookies for each of us. I’ve not tried to recreate them as I know they wouldn’t be as good.
- Home on Christmas Morning or Travel? We always wake up at our own home but travel to my in-laws for brunch and presents. We are fortunate that they only live in a city about 15 minutes from us.
- Clear or Colored lights? I am all about beautiful clear,white lights. Of course, the more the better.
- Send Christmas Cards? We used to send many but over the years that number has dwindled. Actually, I like the idea of Happy New Year cards.
- Favorite Christmas Present Ever Received? James gave me a beautiful Movado watch. I wasn’t expecting it and it came at a time in our lives when I needed to be reminded that time can be painful but also beautiful.
- Favorite Christmas Present Ever Given? I love surprising my family with gifts (and spoiling them). However, I think my favorite reaction was from my mother-in-law over a beautiful Scottish Santa. She keeps him out all year long. The funny part of this is that it was truly a last minute purchase and not really planned.
- Stockings or No Stockings? I love stockings! It is so much fun to find little things to include in them.
- Christmas PJs? I always purchase a new pair but they are not necessarily Christmas themed.
- Favorite Christmas Carol? Silent Night as a carol but my all time favorite song is Mary Did You Know – preferably performed my the pianist at our old church. Let’s just say you felt like you already had a sermon when she was finished.
- Favorite Holiday Tradition: James and I always pick a day for a date day that usually includes Christmas shopping, dinner and driving around looking at lights. We schedule a date because the month can be so crazy.
- Early or Late Shopper? I like to get my shopping done so I am not rushing around.However, there may be small items i pick up.
- Favorite Christmas Movie or Show. I must watch Elf at least once. (Smiling is my favorite). I also have to watch The Griswolds as it was my Mom’s favorite movie and it was actually much more fun to watch her laugh.
- Favorite Holiday Beverage. Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks! (give me all the peppermint)
- Cookies or Milk for Santa? Sadly, we do not have any little ones but I did leave them as a child.
How do you celebrate the season? Take some time to enjoy every moment that you can!